Gluten free friands are a simple to make french cake that are really popular in Australia. They’re generally oval in shape and you can find these moulds in any good kitchenware store. This recipe uses lemons and raspberries – if you can source the raspberries fresh then do it, you won’t regret it. If not, the next best option is frozen raspberries from the supermarket.
What you need to make gluten free friands
- 150g (1cup) of Well & Good GF self-raising flour
- 240g (1 ½ cups) Icing sugar, sifted
- 60g (½ cup) almond meal
- 5 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 150g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Rind of 2 lemons
- ½ cup of raspberries, fresh or frozen
For Lemon Syrup
- 60ml (¼ cup) lemon juice
- 110g (½ cup) caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Grease 12 friand muffin pans.
- Place four, Icing sugar, almond meal and egg whites in a large bowl and beat with and electric mixer until well combined.
- Beat in butter, and then stir through lemon rind. Pour mixture into prepared pans.
- Press raspberries in to tops of friands and now bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked and golden.
- While the friands are in the oven, in a small jug place lemon juice and caster sugar and stir until well combined.
- As soon as the gluten free friands come out of the oven pour the sugar mixture all over the friand so that it will form a sugar crust
- Let cool for ten minutes then enjoy!