August 6th is International Beer Day. To get into the spirit, we made gluten free beer brownies that are rich and decadent. A chocolate fudge brownie that’s got a delicious malty taste!
Using beer straight from the bottle will add too much liquid, resulting in flat brownies that’ll end up in the bin. Instead, add half a cup of beer that’s been reduced in a saucepan. You’ll get great flavor with half a cup of beer, but a quarter cup will also taste good.
- 1 can gluten free beer (we used TwoBays, a local Melbourne brand)
- 1 packet (450g) Chocolate Mud Cake Mix
- 2 Eggs
- 75g margarine (dairy-free)
- 150g dark chocolate pieces (dairy-free)
- Pour beer into a small saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until it reduces to ½ a cup of liquid. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease or line a 20cm brownie tray.
- Melt the chocolate and margarine in the microwave for 90 seconds, then stir until smooth.
- In a large bowl combine melted chocolate and eggs one at a time, stirring constantly. Add the mud cake mix and continue to stir to a smooth consistency.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and set to bake for 40 – 45 minutes.