This gluten free chocolate mud cake recipe has long been a favorite in our family. It is a rich, decadent treat that is perfect for kid’s parties. We used two packets of mudcake mix for the cake in the picture.
- 1 packet Chocolate Mud Cake Mix.
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 cup (85ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125ml) oil
- Preheat your oven to 175°C (160°C fan forced)
- Grease or line an 18cm round tin.
- In a large bowl combine water, oil and eggs, with the mud cake mix, stir with a wooden spoon to a smooth consistency.
- Pour the batter into a prepared cake tin and set to bake for 45 – 50 minutes.
- Rest for 5min in the cake tin, then place on a wire rack to cool.
Tip: Time will vary depending on your oven, insert a skewer into the middle of the cake to check consistency, if the skewer is clean, your cake is ready to come out of the oven.
To make the frosting…
Combine 75g of butter or margarine with the frosting mix (included in pack) and mix on high for one minute with an electric mixer. Decorate the cake once it’s cool.
You may also wish to add a Chocolate Ganache Icing:
- In a small saucepan boil 2/3 cup of cream then turn off the heat.
- Stir through 375g of melting chocolate until it is well mixed and melted.
- Allow to cool and then spread over the cake with a spatula or broad knife.
Vegan recipe alternative
Simply replace 2 eggs with 110g apple sauce/puree, 25g melted dairy free margarine and 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder. Bake at 175°C fan forced.