Follow this gluten free sweet challah recipe to bake this delicious mildly sweet bread with sultanas. An excellent bread for toasting.
What you need to make gluten free sweet challah
- 1 packet (400g) Crusty Bread Mix.
- 1 egg
- 4tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp. margarine
- 1 ½ cups (425ml) of warm water
- Sachet of dry yeast (included in box). If your box contains two sachets use both.
- 1 (50g) dusting flour
- ½ cup sultanas (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 240°C (225°C fan forced)
- Grease or line a baking tin.
- In large bowl combine water, egg, margarine, yeast and stir to dissolve.
- In a separate bowl combine the sugar, sultanas and crusty bread mix and add them to the wet ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are well combined, let the dough prove for 15 minutes.
- Dust your bench with flour provided, and turn your dough onto the floured surface, and gently knead the dough for 1-2 minutes, halve the dough for two small challahs, halve again and roll out two long thin ropes, plat the dough (see video reference).
- Place the challahs on prepared baking try and brush with water to prevent cracking, cover with a damp tea towel and prove the dough for 55-60 minutes.
- Brush surface with egg yolk and set to bake for 18 -21 minutes. For a single loaf bake 24-26 minutes.