What you need to make gluten free hummingbird cake
For the Cake
Well and Good plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 large egg whites
3/4 cups mashed banana + 2 cups banana chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 227g can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 cup chopped walnuts and slivered almonds
For the Frosting
250g cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
500g sifted caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Fold the egg whites, oil, vanilla and mashed banana into the dry mix. Ensure the mix is completely combined.
- Fold in pineapple, 1 cup walnuts and chopped bananas until combined
- Pour batter into three lined 20cm round cake pans. Springform pans work well.
- Bake at 180° for 25 to 30 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before placing on wire rack until completely cooled.
- To make the frosting beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually add caster sugar beating on a low speed until light and fluffy then add vanilla and continue beating until combined.
- Spread cream cheese between layers and place each cake on top of the other (see picture).
- Sprinkle walnuts and almonds on top of cake.