What you need to make a gluten free vanilla coconut cake
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free plain flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup softened unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 250g butter at room temperature
- 450g sifted icing sugar
- 60ml milk
- Grease two round 22cm cake tins.
- In a medium bowl, mix milk and egg whites and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Using an electric mixer, slowly add the butter and mix on a medium speed for three minutes.
- Add the milk mixture and beat on medium speed until combined.
- Pour even quantities of the cake batter into each pan.
- Bake at 180 for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserting into middle of cake.
- Cool the cakes in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks until completely cooled.
To make frosting:
- Add butter to bowl and using electric beater, mix until fluffy (about 2-3 minutes).
- Continue mixing whilst slowly adding the icing sugar until combined.
- Slowly add the milk and continue mixing until well combined.
- Spread frosting on the top of your base cake then add second cake on top. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle coconut over the top and sides of cake.