Make an amazing gluten free Spanakopita that’s as good as the original version. This recipe is a Greek classic – a combination of pastry, cheese, spinach and a few extra ingredients. Spanakopita won’t last long on the plate.
What you need to make Spanakopita
- 200g pastry using this recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 bunch shallots (spring onions), finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1.2kg baby spinach or 2 boxes of frozen spinch
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 250g feta cheese, crumbled
- 150g full-fat ricotta cheese or 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Heat oil in a fry pan, then add onion, shallots and garlic. Cook for 1 minute until softened, then add spinach (if using frozen squeeze all water out first) and half the dill. Cook, stirring, over low heat for 1-2 minutes or until spinach has wilted. Drain in a colander and cool, then combine with cheeses, egg, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Combine all ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a baking dish with oil. Lay one sheet of pastry. Spread spinach mixture over top. Cover with remaining pastry, Brush top with butter .
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden. Let cool 10 minutes then turn out. Great hot or cold.