What you need to make a Vegan Chocolate Mousse Cake.
Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Base
- Well and Good Chocolate Cupcake Mix
- 3 tbsp. ground flaxseed combined with 9 tbsp. water (replaces 3 eggs)
- 70ml of rice bran oil (replaces 80g margarine)
- 125ml of water
Dairy Free Mousse
- Well and Good Chocolate Icing Mix
- 400mL tin coconut cream chilled overnight (replaces 250mL cream)
Chocolate Mousse Method
- Place the tin coconut cream in the fridge overnight – chilling the cream helps separate the liquid from the solids.
- Place a bowl in the fridge to chill about half an hour, then scoop the hardened coconut cream out into the chilled bowl and discard the liquid
- Beat coconut cream on high for about 2 minutes or until peaks form, add chocolate mousse topping, and mix at a low speed for a further 30 seconds.
- Set to cool in the fridge until the cake is ready to top.
Chocolate Cake Method
- Preheat oven to 175°c / 160°c fan-forced.
- Grease and line 18cm round cake tin.
- In a large bowl, combine water, oil and flaxseed with cake mix sachet. Using an electric mixer on a medium speed, mix batter for 2min or until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour batter into cake tin and set to bake for 40-45 min.
- Remove from oven and allow cake to cool completely before topping with mousse.
- For special tips on how to evenly apply the mousse, see our video above.