You will need
- ½ packet (500g) Pastry Flour
- 15g egg powder
- 50g cold butter
- 350 ml ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon (20 ml) white vinegar
300g cold butter
25g pastry flour
Extra flour for dusting
- In a large bowl, combine pastry flour and egg powder; Use your fingertips to rub the 50g of butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the water and vinegar to the mixture and stir until a dough forms. Turn dough onto a lightly floured (GF pastry flour) surface and gently knead until elastic and shape into a disc. Mark the disc with a cross and leave it aside.
- In a separate bowl mix together additional butter and pastry flour (to maintain the separation between the butter and the dough), and shape back into a block. Place the butter in the fridge to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Use a lightly floured rolling pin and roll out each of the four sides leaving a mound in the centre of the dough. Place butter on top of the mound and fold each end in over the butter (the butter should now be enclosed in the dough).
- Gently press edges together and roll out dough to a 10 x 30cm rectangle, now fold one edge 2/3 along and fold the shorter edge over, creating three layers. Roll the pastry out a little and rotate the dough 90° and repeat the process, Roll out and fold dough as before. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Remove dough from the fridge and repeat rolling and folding process 2 more times. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest. (Dough should have been folded and rolled 4 times altogether.)
- Bake at 200°C for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
Tips: We recommend that you watch the video.